India's mining industry: Challenges and potential

By Shruti Salwan
Published: Saturday, 21 May 2016

The Indian mining industry is best described as a success story still in the making. Despite holding reserves of 89 different minerals, Shruti Salwan, IM Analyst, examines why growth in the domestic mining industry has been relatively stagnant, failing to reap the benefits of an emerging middle class.

The majority of India's output is coal, accounting for 80% of total mining, while other groups of minerals make up the remaining 20%. 

India is the largest global producer of mica blocks and mica splitting. The country also ranks second in the world for its production of barites and...

This is a preview of the full article

Our market news and price data is reserved for registered users only.

Current customer? Login now

All of our industrial minerals price data and news is now available only through our new platform. Learn more about the intelligence we offer by visiting our Fastmarkets flagship website. If you are familiar with our reliable and trusted intelligence, fill out a request a quote form today to hear from our friendly sales staff who will create a custom license for you.


           



Interested in lithium prices? We now offer lithium prices and coverage free for reference. Click here to read all about it.

Interested in the wider electrification market?
Join our growing community of participants who want to learn more about electrification and how this market is developing.